The traditional blanquette of veal (Blanquette de veau)
List of ingredients (4 people) :
- 800 g of veal blanquette
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 small tin of chopped mushrooms
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 20 cl of light double cream
- 1 egg yolk
- Brown the meat in a little soft butter until the pieces are a little brown.
- Sprinkle with 2 spoonfuls of flour. Stir well.
- Add 2 or 3 glasses of water, the vegetable stock cube and stir. Add more water if necessary to cover.
- Slice the carrots and chop the onion and add to the meat, along with the mushrooms.
- Simmer over very low heat, covered, for about 1 a half hour to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is tender (you should be able to insert the tip of a knife without any problem), mix the fresh cream, egg yolk and lemon juice in a bowl. Add a ladleful of stock from the mixture and mix.
- Remove some of the stock from the mixture so that only a little remains (otherwise the sauce will be too liquid).
- Add the cream/egg/lemon/broth mixture to the meat and bring to the boil for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Stir well, adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve immediately with rice or steamed potatoes.
“Blanquette de veau” is a traditional French cooking recipe. It is a low-fat dish and very simple to prepare. The important thing is to simmer the blanquette long enough for the meat to melt!
Cécile Valton, a qualified dietician, offers private consultations at the Centre Paramédical de Schouweiler.
Hippocrates, the ancient Greek physician, said: “Let your food be your primary medicine”. A healthy, balanced and tasty diet is one of the essential pillars for good physical and mental health!
Passionate about my work, I am committed to accompanying my patients in a caring and educational way. Each person is unique and each story different: together, let’s set health objectives in line with your desires, your ethics, your body and your lifestyle.